Friday, April 16, 2010

What Embryo Transfer Was Like

We transferred both embryos this morning. One was 6 cells and the other was 7. They gave me a cute little "best wishes" card with a photo of each one inside. There was no fragmentation but he said they were a little "asymmetrical" which reduces the chance of implantation. My pregnancy test is Monday April 26th.

At my clinic, the transfer was done in the same area as the retrieval. I had to shout my name to the embryologist again and I also had to sign for them. The doctor goes "this is just like Fed Ex. You've gotta sign for your embryos."

I was tilted slightly backward, the speculum placed, cervix cleaned with water and a cotton swab, then he did the trial run. I guess the trial run consists of opening the cervix and placing the same type of catheter inside that will be used for the transfer. After that, he just kept saying, "you are going to have a very easy transfer." Once he was done with the trial run, which only took about a minute, he asked the embryologist for the embryos. It took less than 5 minutes. Then he gave the catheter back to the embryologist to verify that the embryos were no longer there. After the transfer, I stayed there in the slightly upside down position for about 20 minutes.

I had acupuncture before my transfer today. Afterwards, I came home, at a salad and some chocolate pudding and took a 3 hour nap.

If you've got a success story about getting pregnant from crappy embryos, I sure need to hear it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gina! I hope you're doing well, and resting like a good little chicken. We got the ole "they look pretty good" from our RE, but I also felt like it was just because they were better than the others that fertilized (which were not good at all). But we're pregnant, so stay positive and hang tight. Honestly, the two weeks wasn't nearly as bad this time as I thought it would be. I was out of the work the entire 2 weeks, too. I hope the 26th comes quickly and I'm sending baby vibes your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually heard a lot of stories about bad embryos making babies, so I'm thinking positive. Good luck and please keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete