Sunday, July 4, 2010

IVF Cycle 2, 1st monitoring ultrasound

Alternate title: Why I hate my clinic more every day

I've mentioned this before but I hate the fact that some ultrasound techs will turn the screen where you can see it and even read off the measurements of the follicles to you and some won't. Most won't. I know that's their job and all but I think it's utter bullshit. I'm not asking for an interpretation of the results, just to see what they're seeing. But today because I got one of the tight-lipped ones, I was forced to have to interpret myself, based on how they were moving the wand around and how many clicks I heard.

I think there may have been one. One! Which sucks ass!

I drove home depressed and sat around the rest of the morning waiting for their call only to find that they'd called my cell phone, which I didn't have near me (I hardly ever touch that thing on the weekends, especially when I'm home) and didn't hear. They left a message: "I have some instructions for you. Continue with the same dose of Bravelle and Menopur and we will see you back here Tuesday morning for an ultrasound. I'll repeat that, continue with the same dose of Bravelle and Menopur and we will see you back here Tuesday morning for an ultrasound. Thank you bye." What? But how many follicles? What about the Estrogen level? Even though I knew I wouldn't be able to reach anybody, I called the answering service which what you get no matter what number you call at that clinic on the weekends, and left a message saying I needed to speak to the nurse who just left a message. Of course, no call back. Agony.

I absolutely hate that the clinic phones are locked down like that. It is impossible to ever speak to a clinical person when you call. And on the weekend? Forget it. They flat out tell you they don't even check voicemail on the weekend. With my raging hormones, I feel like beating the shit out of somebody. I don't want to wait until Tuesday to get my bad news! The next time I speak to them, I plan to tell them to put a big ass note on my chart so that they always relay four things in addition to the instructions: the measurement of the lining, number and measurement of follicles on the right, number and measurement of follicles on the left and estrogen level. I don't even know why I need to tell them to do that. It ought to be standard operating procedure!

1 comment:

  1. Aaaahhhh! I totally feel your pain on this one! I'm really shocked though, that they don't answer their phones on the weekends AT ALL! My clinic checks their voicemail every 10 mins (so they say) from 7:30-1 on the weekends, yet I STILL agonized over their not calling back. Sometimes I would wait and wait and wait until 12:59, to avoid getting on their shit list from haunting them 20 times a day, only to make the call ONE MINUTE before they closed, and wouldn't you know it???? I'd never get in touch with anyone, I'd hang up the phone and realize I had a new voicemail message with NONE of the information (other than the instructions)! Most frustrating feeling. I'd literally cry over it. All of it is such a rollercoaster - combined with the meds that add to the rollercoaster and WATCH OUT! I hope you're gardening your little heart out to keep busy - WAIT. Can you even garden right now? UGH! Stay positive stay positive stay positive. I can't say that enough! THIS IS GOING TO WORK!!!!

    ReplyDelete